Thursday, 10 April 2014

Autism Awareness Month

Autism Fact: Autism training is not routinely provided as part of police training in the UK


I'm an ex-teacher so I have worked with a variety of children including those on the autistic spectrum. I was a maths teacher in a mainstream school and previously a learning support teacher working with a small group of children who couldn't deal with the classroom environment. There were issues, sure, but as a whole my experience I guess had always been a watered down version of what Autism was.

Then I met RJ Scott and not too long after I met her son Matthew. Now, if you're expecting me to say how terrible it was and how I never went back, then you'd be wrong. RJ can't get rid of me these days. At the time, I think RJ was more worried than me, though to be fair as she worried about what I'd think and how Matt would be with me, I then started to panic as I really didn't want to be a reason for upsetting him and what he was used to.

As it turned out, because I'm apparently 'relaxation' personified, meeting Matt actually turned out to be quite fun. And one reason it was fun is...

 

Who knew there were so many rules? Here I was thinking you just pulled out sticks. Now in this version there is a single magical yellow ball amongst all the others. Can you see it in the picture? Yep that ball there. It's a wonderful thing really and well, I just couldn't grasp such complicated rules. Apparently, or so Matthew told me, you win if you get the yellow ball. Also, you win if the other person gets the yellow ball. I couldn't believe how good Matt was at it. Seriously. He won EVERY single game. He got the yellow ball and won. I got the yellow ball and he won. I was so rubbish at it.

Over the years, I have visited RJ several times. I have seen Matt at his best - he loves to tease me about the way I talk. I'm from the Midlands in the UK and therefore we sit on the grass not grarse, eat fudge not fadge and ride the bus not the bass. I've seen him enjoy tickle-death with his mum and smile and laugh and hug his cuddly toy cats. Seen him set up his rail set only to dismantle the thing almost instantly and I've gone out pylon and fan spotting. I have seen his quirks - the pylon building out of dvd cases, the lego left in the bath, the select foods he'll only eat. Get that boy some olives! I have also seen him at his worst or close - shouting, screaming, storming up the stairs and being like any other stroppy teen, just to the power of ten. And then I have seen way too much of Matt - OMG AWOL pyjamas! LOL

Meeting Matt has made me appreciate what I have and who I have in my life. I admire RJ and other mums and dads who give their time and love to children with any special need or disability. I'm not sure I'd be so strong.




Competition: As part of the blog hop I'm offering a prize of a $10 Amazon gift card to one commenter. Please leave a comment including a contact email. Competition closes on the 15th April at the end of the day. Winner will be contacted soon after.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. For more competitions and blog entries see the master list here at RJ's blog - http://rjscottauthor.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/april-autism-blog-hop.html


Latest Release

Book 2 in The Lone Wolf Trilogy

Blurb:
The journey to become a better man isn’t easy, especially when there’s something worth fighting for.

Evan has been alone since Kaine’s death, moving from place to place, and for the most part, keeping to himself. He never expected to cross paths with Mason and Niall again. When he gets caught up in something bigger than himself, he is left injured, scared, and with nowhere else to turn.

Michael is like no wolf Evan has ever met before. Born a werewolf, Michael is stronger and faster, but has yet to truly tap into his abilities. Taken in by Mason and Niall, Michael struggles to come to terms with the horrific events in his past and the loss of his family. In Evan, Michael finds an unexpected focus. And despite warnings of Evan’s own dark past, Michael finds Evan to be someone worth fighting for, and someone who can help him understand exactly what he is capable of.


Buy Links:  Extasy | Amazon (US) | Amazon (UK) | Others coming soon

18 comments:

  1. From what you have written here and RJ has said over the years, Matt sounds like a wonderful young man. Just More.
    younela48@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Matt is a cheeky chappy and like many of us has his off days (just worse) but he is lovely and I'm kind of honoured he's accepted me popping round so easily :)

      Delete
  2. I am disabled myself, Cerebral Palsy, reading about Matt and Amber's Son has given me a new insight into the incredible people who have Autism, and the equally incredible people that love them.

    aibopals at gmail dot come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I'm glad you've enjoyed the different blog posts being posted on the subject :)

      Delete
  3. thanks for a wonderful post. RJ's son does sound like a remarkable young man

    parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. He is and he's grown up so much in the roughly 5 years since meeting him :)

      Delete
  4. I am sure I commented on this earlier..... Just incase my post was eaten I will post again... lol
    I really enjoyed reading this post. Matt sounds wonderful.
    I get beaten by my girls when ever I play KerPlunk :)
    geetracy1170 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I think it was eaten! Thanks for reading :) Do your girls have their own rules too? LOL

      Delete
    2. They do for all games, I get beaten in every game we play... I would say they all cheat...lol

      Delete
  5. I don't think we played Kerplunk - Hungry Hippos was the one that got my two fighting. They slammed the things so hard it scared me! I'm not sure there were any rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RJ son sounds like a wonderful boy and I think it's great having a Blog Hop for Autism Awareness.

    ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the mother of 3 boys. My oldest is 22, has Aspergers and will graduate next month from college. We have had many challenges over the years and he will continue to have challenges in his adult life. I am proud of who he is, what he has accomplished and I just want him to have HIS version of happiness in his life.
    Matt sounds like an awesome young man. I know he is fortunate to have RJ for a mother. My experience has taught me that if you don't advocate for your child, no one will.

    Ballandchain48@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice of you to participate; nice blurb

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet anecdote!

    vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing a great story with us. Matthew sounds like an awesome individual.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure Matthew and RJ enjoyed your visits very much, and thanks for sharing some of your memories with us.
    strive4bst(AT) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story. Thank you for sharing with us and contributing to the blog hop! Matt sounds like a wonderful young man.

    jczlapin(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. On the facet short letter: Quite a few users usually are going through an issue with accessing this supplementary obtain, in any other case called Mistake 941.This will very well function as the trouble struggling with both equally Grand Theft Auto: Vice Location as well as Modern-day Overcome 4: 0 Hour as well.Withal, Trend Computer software offers submitted a few stairs on their own assist website that you can do to acheive the additional articles get if you expertise Error 941. lol boosting
    boost lol

    ReplyDelete