Thursday 9 August 2012

Zombies #9

My second place favourite zombie movie is...

9. Planet Terror

Dr. Felix: Viral infections. They came pouring in. Some are rapidly developing coliform lesions... highly contagious. What do you think?
Dr. William Block: Self preservation comes to mind.


Ever watch a film and just thought...wow, that is so cool? I love Rodriguez's Planet Terror. Paired with Tarantino's Death Proof under the title Grindhouse (which also featured a then mock-trailer of Machete), Planet Terror oozes a certain style that people either love or hate. Personally, I love anything like this, a movie that is visually just awesome. I love the flickery effect of an old picture house and the movie reel jumping or even burning out. The mood of the movie is dark but a fun romp very much like some of Rodriguez's other films, From Dusk Til Dawn, Sin City and The Faculty. I just love the dialogue and action and overall B-movie feel to it.

Abby: I also want your balls for my collection! It would be easier if you do it yourself. Just drop your pants, chop them off, and give them to me. Then... I might consider letting you live.
Romy: Uh... Abby... I'm really attached to them.
Abby: Oh, sweetheart I was really attached to my specimens. And now, thanks to you and your incompetence, they're out there in the night doing God knows what.


A virus is released and some infected specimens escape, which both head for town. And then the bites, the lesions and the dead bodies start rolling into the hospital. The mixed group of survivors battling it out include Cherry, a go-go dancer, her ex, Wray who has history with the sheriff and guns (and it seems knives - handy though), the sheriff's cook brother, a pair of twin babysitters, and a bisexual doctor that is nifty with syringes :). Throw in some slightly unstable military guys and then it really gets fun. The female characters are sexy and capable. The zombies are pretty gross and some actual brain eating happens \o/ It's a great cast including Josh Brolin, Michael Biehn, Rose McGowan, Bruce Willis and Fergie. There are a few shocking moments in there along with the gore, as well as the dark humour and even a little romance :)


Sheriff Hague: Don't shoot yourself. Don't shoot each other. And especially... don't shoot me.

I just find the movie really cool and I'm a Tarantino and Rodriguez fan, so mixed with zombies, I was having a happy watching this ;D










No comments:

Post a Comment